We believe kids grow better immersed in nature. YMCA of Barry County’s new nature based learning program will offer a unique educational experience for children to learn and grow in a positive outdoor atmosphere. While the majority of activities will be held outdoors, there is a full classroom set up for when we need to spend time indoors. Located at YMCA of Barry County Camp Algonquin.
SPROUTS Preschool Age Learning
- Youth Age 3-5 years old
- Monday – Thursday
- Weekly, January 18 – May 13 (Spring Break April 5-9)
- 8:30 – 11:50 am
- $100 per week
Enroll anytime as long as there is space!
Classes up to 12 students with 2 adult leaders. Through exploration and hands-on activities, the program will introduce social, emotional, and physical skills as well as early learner concepts in reading, writing, math, art, music and science. Theme related activities emphasize the process rather than the product, which allows early learners to have a sense of accomplishment. Snack served daily.
What To Expect From SPROUTS
This program is specifically designed for young learners between the ages of 3 and 5 with a focus on learning while in nature. The program is scheduled to be outdoors at least 60 percent with a small amount of time indoors for arrival, departure, and a group lesson each day. We believe that by being in nature, children benefit physically, emotionally, and intellectually. Nature inspires, refreshes, and nurtures us.
Some topics and activities may include:
- Outdoor components: recycling, wildlife, gardening, weather, music, art, fort building, basic shooting sports safety, outdoor classroom space, and the natural world around us.
- Traditional schooling components: Letters, numbers, colors, shapes, music, fine motor skills, and gross motor skills. These are incorporated into daily activities.
- Life skills components: friendship, working together, independence, communication skills and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this program open to all? YES! This is open to home school students, remote learning students, or any other student that can attend during the time blocks.
Will the program start over each session? No – our programming is progressive through out the year. While some activities may repeat, we plan to continually grow and expand as the weeks progress.
Is there a sibling discount? No. However, if you pay in full by the end of the second FULL week during each session, you receive a $50 discount PER student. This is actually a greater amount than our normal sibling discount.
Is financial aid offered? Yes – same as we offer for all other programs. Maximum 50% scholarships given.
If the program has to stop due to COVID-19, will I receive a refund? Yes – a prorated refund will be given should we have to close due to COVID-19 related issues.
Do 3 year olds need to be completely potty trained? While we aim for participants to be bathroom independent, we understand accidents happen.
Will it be like camp was as far as drop off/pick up? It will be a lot like camp drop off with families staying in the vehicle. However, SPROUTS will have the option to be walked in by ONE parent.
Are masks required?
- Participants will wear facial coverings in all indoor common areas (i.e. bathrooms, hallways, classroom) including entering and exiting the building.
- For any child who cannot medically tolerate a face covering, has trouble breathing, or is unable to remove the face covering without assistance; a full face shield covering the entire face, including sides, and going below the chin, is required.
- When outside, participants will not be required to wear a face covering.
How many students are in each program? We have set the program to have 12 in SPROUTS.
What type of shoes will my child need? We ask that all students wear tennis shoes daily.