Our Mission, Core Values and Area of Focus
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that help healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
- CARING: to demonstrate a sincere concern for others, for their needs and well-being
- HONESTY: to tell the truth, to demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness through actions that are in keeping with my stated positions and beliefs.
- RESPECT to treat others as I would want them to treat me, to value the worth of every person, including myself.
- RESPONSIBILITY to do what is right–what I ought to do, to be accountable for my choices of behavior and actions and my promises.
Our Areas of Focus
The Y is a cause-driven organization that is for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility. That’s because a strong community can only be achieved when we invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors.
Defining our areas of focus:
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT: Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
- HEALTHY LIVING: Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
Opportunities for All
The Y is for everyone. Our programs, services and initiatives enable kids to realize their potential, prepare teens for college, offer ways for families to have fun together, empower people to be healthier in spirit, mind and body; prepare people for employment, welcome and embrace newcomers and help foster a nationwide service ethic. And that’s just the beginning.
History of the Y: Strengthening Communities Since 1844
The Y is the organization that…
- …saw to and met the practical and spiritual needs of young men flocking to London during the Industrial Revolution.
- …has served the military and military families in every U.S. conflict since the Civil War.
- …inspired the formation of the S.O., Peace Corps and Father’s Day.
- …met immigrants coming off the boats at Ellis Island to offer services and support in making a new life.
- …began the first night school and English as a Second Language courses.
- …invented group swimming lessons, basketball, volleyball and racquetball, and gave them to the community.
- …provided quality and affordable child care when women began joining the workforce in droves.
- …began values education at a time of social unrest.
YMCA of Barry County
Serving Our Community Since 1916
The YMCA of Barry County has been an integral part of Barry County since 1916. Since its inception, the YMCA has developed programs that have strengthened kids, families, and the community.
Today, the YMCA of Barry County proudly serves our community through programs such as summer camp, youth and adult sports, community outreach, mentoring and more. Find out how you can be a part of our next 100 years!