Y Mentors Goal
To effectively match Youth and Mentors, allowing youth to build strong, trusting relationships with a role model outside of his/her family while growing in spirit, mind and body.
Y Mentors Purpose
To make a positive impact in our community by providing a young person the companionship of a caring, positive role model. Mentors will work to improve emotional development, healthy living, and social responsibility within the youth he/she serves.
Y Mentors Program
The program is design to give youth, the Mentee, a positive role model by matching them with an older person, the Mentor.
Y Mentors is a school-based mentoring program serving youth grades K-12, with caring volunteers. Each Mentor volunteer is matched with one youth, based on similar interests.
To enhance the mentoring experience, Y Mentors provides on-going support, YMCA sponsored events, YMCA resources, and community opportunities to foster long-term quality relationships.
Our mentors offer their friendship and guidance to build a healthy mind, body and spirit in their Mentee. Find out if one is waiting for you!
For Inquires or More Information:
Allison Hinton – email – 269-945-4574 ext. 109
Who Can Be a Mentor?
- Mentors are High School Teens, age 15 or older, and adults
- Willing to make a one year commitment to the program
- Willing to visit Mentee 3-4 times per month, 1 hour per visit
- Mentors must complete the application process, have a clear criminal history and attend all mandatory training
Who Can Be a Mentee?
- Youth must want a mentor and have a manageable range of behavior
- Any youth, grades K-12th attending participating schools (Hastings, Thornapple Kellogg, Delton)
- Youth referred to Y Mentors by school counselors, teachers, social workers and/or parents/guardians.
- Mentees that have a personal or family need are given higher priority
*Please note, this is NOT a tutoring service and the Mentor is not expected to help with school work.