Our Mission, Core Values, & Areas of Focus
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
Guided by our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and inclusion, the Y is dedicated to giving people of all ages, backgrounds, and walks of life the opportunity to reach their full potential with dignity.
- CARING: to demonstrate a sincere concern for others, for their needs and well-being
- HONESTY: to tell the truth, to demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness through my actions.
- RESPECT: to treat others as I would want them to treat me, to value the worth of every person, including myself.
- RESPONSIBILITY: to do what is right–what I ought to do, to be accountable for my choices of behavior and actions.
- INCLUSION: to invite those who have different backgrounds than me to the table and reflect on my privileges/disadvantages.
The YMCA of Barry County and Camp Algonquin welcomes campers, counselors, staff, and families of all backgrounds. Participants of all races, ethnicities, faith backgrounds, gender identities, gender expressions, socio-economic statuses, and abilities are celebrated and supported. To learn more about our inclusion program, feel free to reach out to our Inclusion Specialist, Emily Hayward via email at email@example.com
Our Areas of Focus
The Y is a cause-driven organization for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. That’s because a strong community can only be achieved when we invest in our kids, health, and neighbors.
FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
FOR HEALTHY LIVING
Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
Land Acknowledgement Statement
The YMCA of Barry County and Camp Algonquin respectfully acknowledge that we are on the appropriated homelands of the Peoria, Odawa, and Potawatomi Indigenous peoples. We recognize and honor the perseverance and survival of Indigenous communities.
YMCA of Barry County
Serving Our Community Since 1916
The YMCA of Barry County has been an integral part of Barry County since 1916. Since its inception, the YMCA has developed programs that have strengthened kids, families, and the community.
Today, the YMCA of Barry County proudly serves our community through programs such as summer camp, youth and adult sports, community outreach, and more. Find out how you can be a part of our next 100 years!
History of the Y
Strengthening Communities Since 1844
The Y is the organization that…
- …saw to and met the practical and spiritual needs of young men flocking to London during the Industrial Revolution.
- …has served the military and military families in every U.S. conflict since the Civil War.
- …inspired the formation of the S.O., Peace Corps and Father’s Day.
- …met immigrants coming off the boats at Ellis Island to offer services and support in making a new life.
- …began the first night school and English as a Second Language courses.
- …invented group swimming lessons, basketball, volleyball and racquetball, and gave them to the community.
- …provided quality and affordable child care when women began joining the workforce in droves.
- …began values education at a time of social unrest.